“And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it."


Monday, October 3, 2011

YOU!

Hey readers & writers!

I'm so excited that I have more followers because it will make my little "writing community" a lot more beneficial, and that's what I hoped to accomplish with this blog anyways.

That being said, I want to get to know you all better and then hopefully we can share work with one another (if the pieces fit) etc, etc. It can also let others get to know you as well. Just understand that you don't have to answer anything you don't want to. I'm just going to throw questions out there - so answer what you want! Also, feel free to ask questions as well.
  1. What's your name?
  2. Where do you live? 
  3. Tell us something unique about yourself. 
  4. What is a hobby of yours? What do you like to do for fun?
  5. Are you a writer?
  6. Who do you write for? Yourself? Family? Others?
  7. Would you like to be a published author one day? 
  8. Are you already a published author? If so, what's your book's title and please, share a little bit about it with us!
  9. When did you start writing?
  10. Do you like reading?
  11. What's your favorite book?
  12. What inspires you to write?
  13. Do you have a critique partner? Group? 
  14. If you do, what do you like the most about it; the least? 
  15. Have you ever met any famous authors, if so, who? 
  16. Have you ever participated in a writing workshop? 
  17. What are the pros and cons of one? 
  18. Did you take writing classes in high school/college? 
  19. What did you major in? 
  20. Where did you come up with the idea for your story? 
  21. How do you focus and keep writing? 
  22. What is your writing method/process? 
  23. What do you do when you hit a wall (writer's block)?
  24. Do you let your family/friends read what you write and critique first? 
  25. Have you revised? 
  26. Do you edit as you write, or after? 
  27. Have you found an agent? 
  28. What resources do you use as a writer? 
  29. What are your goals for the future? 
  30. What is some advice you'd share with other aspiring authors?
So I wanted to end on that lovely number "30." So I think what I'm going to do now is fill this out about me, because this is still my blog and I want you to get to know who I am as well!

  1. What's your name? Jessica Ruud
  2. Where do you live? Salt Lake City, Utah
  3. Tell us something unique about yourself. I'm ambidextrous :) I write and eat with my left hand, but everything else with the right. I also live inside my head and can create anything and everything. 
  4. What is a hobby of yours? What do you like to do for fun? I like blogging obviously, camping, swimming, just being outdoors a lot...dancing (Greek dancing too - yes I'm Greek), and teaching (went to college to be an Early Elementary Teacher). 
  5. Are you a writer? Yes, ever since I was 5 years old. 
  6. Who do you write for? Yourself? Family? Others? I have written poems for family and friends, but I used to just write for myself. Now I want to write for others out there :)
  7. Would you like to be a published author one day? Of course!! Definitely has always been a dream of mine; I want to follow that dream. 
  8. Are you already a published author? If so, what's your book's title and please, share a little bit about it with us! Someday hopefully I can fill this question out...*sigh*
  9. What is your favorite genre to write? For what age group? Fantasy Fiction for YA. But I also want to write children's books. 
  10. Do you like reading? Obsessed. 
  11. What's your favorite book? What a hard question (oh wait, I created it...). I have so many favorites, but here are some series I love: Harry Potter, The Mortal Instruments, The Hunger Games, The Black Dagger Brotherhood, and yes, Twilight Series. 
  12. What inspires you to write? Everything around. Nature's beauty really. Then again, a song, something I see. There are clues/signs everywhere. 
  13. Do you have a critique partner? Group? Starting to form one. 
  14. If you do, what do you like the most about it; the least? I will say I'm quite shy when it comes to the sharing process. Obviously I need to get over that, but I'm still timid. It's like sharing a part of your soul or something. I'm used to sharing with me, myself, and I. So sharing what you've worked so hard on can be quite scary. 
  15. Have you ever met any famous authors, if so, who? Just one: Ally Condie (author of Matched). I hope to meet a lot more though!
  16. Have you ever participated in a writing workshop? No I'd like to though.
  17. What are the pros and cons of one? I haven't done one, but it seems like a great way to receive feedback from others who have the same goal as you do. 
  18. Did you take writing classes in high school/college? A creative writing class in high school, then the forced Writing 1010 and Writing 2010 in college (wish I had taken more though). 
  19. What did you major in? Human Development and Family Studies with an emphasis on Early Elementary Education. 
  20. Where did you come up with the idea for your story? Well I'm working on two. But the first one I realized was a part of my past...something that was always quite special to me. Something that I would always play & imagine in my mind. It was always there. The other one I was inspired by writing the first one. The chain reaction eh? 
  21. How do you focus and keep writing? It's hard, I'm not going to lie. Especially with something called the "internet." I can lose myself for hours on end on my laptop. So what I need to do, is get a notepad and go somewhere secluded and just write. Lately I like to write at this park with a stream flowing close by. Very peaceful. Very secluded. Very far away from the internet. 
  22. What is your writing method/process? Trying to make writing goals for myself. Finishing chapters etc. But I have a habit of writing out random scenes, and then filling in the blanks. That can be good...and yet bad as well. 
  23. What do you do when you hit a wall (writer's block)? Walk away from the project for a while. Then return when I have a clear head. That's when it is nice working on two projects though. I can go back and forth when this happens. 
  24. Do you let your family/friends read what you write and critique first? Yes I let people close to me read and make suggestions. It helps letting people you truly trust read something so close to your heart. 
  25. Have you revised? Still writing my story. 
  26. Do you edit as you write, or after? I have a habit of editing as I write, but I've noticed it's slowing me down a lot. 
  27. Have you found an agent? Not yet. Someday hopefully :)
  28. What resources do you use as a writer? It's a contradiction to myself, but on the internet. There are so many sites that can help you. The SFWA page, WriteOnCon, and to be honest, famous author's blogs can really help - especially Cassandra Clare's blog
  29. What are your goals for the future? To always write. Never let someone stop that process...even if I don't become published or not. My story will make it's way to the surface eventually; even if it is over e-books and I'll be self-published. Hey, Amanda Hocking could do it, so could I. This is the way for my voice to get out. I don't want to shut it off any time soon. Or ever. 
  30. What is some advice you'd share with other aspiring authors? Read. Write. Read. Write. Also, to never give up on your story. It came to you for a reason - see it through. And gain help wherever and whenever you can. 
So how did I do? :) Also, if you'd like to hear more random rantings from me, head on over to my main blog: Live Laugh Love. By the way, are any of you participating in the National Novel Writing Month? I'm actually thinking of doing it, just for the practice of writing. Plus, it would be interesting to see if I could write 50,000 words in a month! Yikes! 

Cannot wait to get to know all of you better as well! 

Have a great Monday!!

11 comments:

  1. It's great to get to know you better, Jessica! You're diving head-long into this. And I can't think of a better way to start.

    Keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks David!! I appreciate it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool Jessica!

    I might steal this and use it on my blog :) it's a great list.

    Yes, I'm going to give my first shot this November. So excited!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - very cool. Looks like we have a few things in common. I was an elementary school teacher before becoming a mom. I love writing YA fiction. I'm working on paranormal at the moment, but I'd like to branch into adventure/action type books too. I have a database of over 80 stories that I want to write some day. So much to do, I wish there were more hours in the day.

    I'm not published yet either, but I'm seriously considering the self-publishing route, just to get my trilogy out there.

    Good luck with writing a novel in a month. I'd love to give it a try, but I promised myself I'd put my family before writing, so probably won't have the time. Maybe when my boys are older and less demanding (not sure if that ever happens :))

    I like your writing philosophy. I feel the same - keep writing because you love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing with us! I tried to answer some of your questions. Sorry, the numbers are all off.
    1.Where do you live? South Jersey
    2.Tell us something unique about yourself. I can write and read in mirror image- pretty weird huh?
    3.What is a hobby of yours? What do you like to do for fun? Reading, writing, bike riding, creating crafty things, drawing, walking trails & skiing when I'm lucky.
    6.What inspires you to write? My kids mostly. I like to make them laugh.
    8.Have you ever participated in a writing workshop? No, but that is on my to do list.
    9.Did you take writing classes in high school/college? A creative writing class in high school, but non in college. I’ll definitely sign up for a community college course when I get the chance. I have three small children so not much me time lately.
    10.What did you major in? Sociology
    11.Where did you come up with the idea for your story? W I’m working on a PB about space. I took the children to the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia over the summer and an exhibit inspired me to write this story I’m working on right now.
    13.What is your writing method/process? Mostly my lab top in the morning, but I will write down ideas anywhere I can find paper sometimes, napkins, envelopes if I’m out and about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What's your name? Kathy Schneider

    Where do you live? Baltimore, MD

    Tell us something unique about yourself. I love to travel. I want to make it to all the continents so far I've got North and South America, Antarctica, Europe, and Australia

    What is a hobby of yours? What do you like to do for fun? Dance, read, video games

    Are you a writer? I'm a blogger so in that sense I'm a writer. I'd love to write fiction one day as well.

    Who do you write for? Yourself? Family? Others? I write for myself, it's an added bonus when others appreciate it as well.

    Would you like to be a published author one day? I would love that.

    Are you already a published author? No

    If so, what's your book's title and please, share a little bit about it with us!

    When did you start writing? I began writing stories when I was in second grade. They weren't very good at that age though.

    Do you like reading? I love it.

    What's your favorite book? Three way tie between Harry Potter, The Dark Tower, and The Hunger Games.

    What inspires you to write? People, photos, music, quotes

    Do you have a critique partner? Group? My husband is a great partner. He's always kind but honest.

    If you do, what do you like the most about it; the least? I can always bounce my ideas off him, but it can hurt my feelings if he thinks something is not good.

    Have you ever met any famous authors, if so, who? I wish.

    Have you ever participated in a writing workshop? No

    What are the pros and cons of one?

    Did you take writing classes in high school/college? I took one in both high school and college.

    What did you major in? Math

    Where did you come up with the idea for your story? The imaginary games I played as a child.

    How do you focus and keep writing? I haven't figured this one out yet.

    What is your writing method/process?
    I usually do a basic outline and character sketches. And then I just start writing and see where it takes me.

    What do you do when you hit a wall (writer's block)? Work on another project for a while.

    Do you let your family/friends read what you write and critique first? Yes.

    Have you revised? Yes, a lot.

    Do you edit as you write, or after? Mostly after.

    Have you found an agent? No

    What resources do you use as a writer? My computer.

    What are your goals for the future? I want to finish my first novel during NaNoWriMo this year.

    What is some advice you'd share with other aspiring authors? Write what you like not what you think others will like or you'll never be proud of what you've written.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1.What's your name?--Diane Colbert
    2.Where do you live?--Northern Virginia
    3.Tell us something unique about yourself.--I am obsessed with make up. i love doing my friends makeup before we go out and I watch entirely too many tutorials, hauls, and reviews on YouTube.
    4.What is a hobby of yours? What do you like to do for fun?--I love dancing, i miss being on a team, i like the outdoors, I love going out with my girl, a girls night out fixes all life trouble.
    5.Are you a writer?--yes
    6.Who do you write for? Yourself? Family? Others?--I write for my self but hope to share with others soon.
    7.Would you like to be a published author one day?--I hope to be.
    8.Are you already a published author? If so, what's your book's title and please, share a little bit about it with us!--nope not yet
    9.When did you start writing?--Freshmen year in high school was when I really started writing for fun.
    10.Do you like reading?--I've recently gotten really into reading lately.
    11.What's your favorite book?--I'm a sucker I love The Twilight Series and Hunger Games Series.
    12.What inspires you to write?--mostly music, nature and the desire to leave my mark on the world.
    13.Do you have a critique partner? Group?--Yes i do the lovely Jessica Rudd :)
    14.If you do, what do you like the most about it; the least?--I love having someone to bounce ideas off of and tell me if my writing is getting to be out there and give me advice. I am also shy with my writing i usually don't share it with anyone so that's the only challenge.
    15.Have you ever met any famous authors, if so, who?--nope but i hope too.
    16.Have you ever participated in a writing workshop?--not yet.
    17.What are the pros and cons of one?--Not yet but I think it would help getting different perspectives.
    18.Did you take writing classes in high school/college?--I took journalism classes in high school, from writing to broadcasting and a communications and writing class in college.
    19.What did you major in?--my major has been everything from, elementary school teacher, to journalist, to wedding planner, to hair stylist/makeup artist and is now moving toward business management. lol.
    20.Where did you come up with the idea for your story?--I wrote a poem/paragraph years ago and when re-reading it recently I made a whole story out of it.
    21.How do you focus and keep writing?--It's rather hard with everything going on in my life but I just try to write when I can.
    22.What is your writing method/process?--no process yet, very unorganized :(
    23.What do you do when you hit a wall (writer's block)?--Listen to some music to regain inspiration. Or take a break.
    24.Do you let your family/friends read what you write and critique first?--no, I probably should but i'm very self conscious of my writing.
    25.Have you revised?--not yet done but I revise as I go, I re read my writing way to much.
    26.Do you edit as you write, or after?--As I go which is part of the problem.
    27.Have you found an agent?--No but I do know a recently published author whose book is coming out soon.
    28.What resources do you use as a writer?--mostly just my imagination and blogs.
    29.What are your goals for the future?--to write a novel that people can enjoy and possibly make a career out of it.
    30.What is some advice you'd share with other aspiring authors?--Never give up, writers block is natural and don't be too hard on yourself nothing will ever come out 100% perfect.

    Hope you enjoyed hearing my answers to your questions. I love things like this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Always great to get to know another writer a little better!

    And you should absolutely do NaNoWriMo! I've done it for five or six years and it's an amazing experience. Hopefully you'll be joining this year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea, Jessica! It's always nice to get to know people better! So it was great hearing about you!


    What's your name? Samantha Verant

    Where do you live? France

    Are you a writer? Yes

    Would you like to be a published author one day? I have an agent, so, yes, I'm working on that!

    When did you start writing? Four years ago
    Do you like reading? LOVE READING!!

    Do you have a critique partner? Group? Yes. And an army of beta readers.

    How do you focus and keep writing?
    Hmmm. Good question. I'm ***cough*** procrastinating now.

    What is your writing method/process? I write down key plot points...and then I go for it.

    Have you revised?
    Yes. Many, many times.

    Do you edit as you write, or after?
    Yes. I can't help myself.


    What resources do you use as a writer? Absolute write and Verla Kay's blueboards!

    What is some advice you'd share with other aspiring authors?

    Never give up. Keep writing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good to get to know you, JRud. Thank you for coming by my blog so I could find yours. I've only been at this two months longer than you have, and it looks as though you've got the hang of blogging. Good for you! I look forward to following your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it when bloggers do this, it's great to get into people's heads! If you really want to know a few things about me, I was interviewed at Abby Fowers blog today here's the address - abbyfowers.blogspot.com Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete