“And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it."


Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Institute of Children's Literature

I got a letter in the mail yesterday from the Institute of Children's Literature and they wanted me to do an aptitude test and send in some of my work. I was wondering, because you're all writers as well, if you've heard about this, and if so, do you know if it's a scam? I'm obviously not going to pay $600 for a course - especially if it's not a legit one at that. So I was really just wanted your opinion. It would be cool if it was real though, and they could help guide you on the path to becoming a published author. I always wanted to be a teacher and to have my own published books in my class. How amazing would that be?

Even if this is a scam, it was enough of a sign to kick my fingers into gear to keep on writing. I've been so incredibly busy, that I haven't been writing as much as I hoped..especially when it came to NaNoWriMo. I'm almost to 20,000 words, but we only have a week left. Not sure if I can finish in that time. How are you all doing if you're still in the competition. I think the hard part to, is that I'm working on the novel that is the "real deal" for me, not just some story to get to 50,000 words with. I've made it past 50,000 words on stories I didn't care about in the past, so I'm sure I could've done it. But I want this one to not be rushed. That's probably why people start from scratch in this competition. Maybe if I start all over I'd have a better shot at it ;) Who knows!

All I know is, I need to get more into this again, because I don't want this dream to float away.

5 comments:

  1. you go girl! i'm sure youre doing great:) i've never heard of that, so i wouldn't know if it's a scam.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost fell into this Jess, on a slightly smaller scale. I entered a writing contest for The Poetry Institute of Canada and was accepted as a finalist. The winner gets published in an anthology but you have to pay about $40 for a copy. What I read before I went too far was that they accept pretty much everyone and make a ton of money in the process. I've just published my first book privately of my writing and I'm very happy because it's on my own terms.

    I strongly suggest checking online before you pay into anything like this, there are many scams out there. Here's a site I like:
    http://www.winningwriters.com/contests/avoid/av_avoid.php

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, last part of that URL is av_avoid.php

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard of this, but it's great that you are writing again! 20,000 words is a wonderful start and no matter if you finish, look at what you accomplished!

    ReplyDelete
  5. missed hearing from you girl! hope you're doing okay and your new year is kicking off to a fab start (:

    i'm having a giveaway & would love for you to enter
    southernpinky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete