“And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it."


Thursday, March 8, 2012

Back in the Game

Ah! I'm back. I haven't written on this blog in so long; the other blog is my baby, but anytime I talk about my writing journey, I come back here. I've decided I need to make this blog more appealing looking! YIKES!


I've been really getting back into writing. I think every writer hits a wall and they don't know where to turn next. I hit that wall for about 3 months, and I don't like it. I even took a Creative Writing class, and I just wasn't feeling it. I was afraid I lost a piece of who I am. But as I was in Sun Valley, I was inspired to write again. I've also decided that teaching children and writing are my passion...so put it together and besides being a school-teacher (which I will be), I want to write books for children. I'm not saying picture books, even though I love picture books, I'm talking about regular chapter books for about 12 years old and up. It could fall in "children's books," or "Young Adult" which is technically 12-18. It also depends on what you're writing about. I was writing something for a 18 and up before, and I love that project and know I'll finish it, but as for now, I want to focus on writing for the youngsters. 


I just remember being a child and the love for reading overtook anything, even playing with my toys. I disappeared just for a while in those pages, and I fell in love. I knew someday I would write a book. I was inspired, and I've once again been inspired. Instead of reading adult novels, I've gone back in time and am focusing on reading what I plan on writing. I want to go back and read all those books I loved, such as: Ella Enchanted, Matilda, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Sweet Valley Twins, Nancy Drew, Little House on the Prairie, Wayside Sideways School, Goosebumps, James and the Giant Peach, The Secret Garden, Mandy, Wait Till Helen Comes, Harry Potter (of course), etc. That is only just a few of what I used to read. Seriously I would read everything! I'm also reading the new books out for children/young adults nowadays. Right now I'm finally reading Percy Jackson & the Olympians. I heard so many great things about these novels, and I don't know if it's because I love Greek Mythology or what, but I'm absolutely loving these books by Rick Riordan.
I absolutely adore the writing techniques, yet there are still big words for learning, but not complicated. Instead of the typical love story taking over the main plot, there is adventure, and intriguing villains; there are weird creatures that twist your imagination like Dr. Seuss always accomplished. I love the books that are series, and I don't mean just fantasy fiction books. I like where the characters grow physically and mentally in life. Finally their best friend who was a girl, they start noticing in a different light, they change friends, they try to find their place in the world, etc. The theme's of these books can really help children learn their own identity and I love that because these books growing up, did that for me! 

I love also quotes by Dr. Seuss (was his birthday the other day), and ones by Roald Dahl, who wrote some of my favorite stories growing up. This one is my favorite:
There is magic all around us, and that's what make-believe is. That's why I love writing fantasy fiction. I feel like you can disappear from the ordinary life, and create a new life, something that is unseen of or unheard of. A world that brings the inner child out in all of us. That's why I love it. And that's why I write it. Dr. Seuss and Roald knew these secrets, and they were sad to see adults lose these traits. 

I also had a funny thought when concerning writing: ever since I was little, I always, always, made cards for family and friends. Whether it was birthday cards, v-day, Mother's Day, Father's Day, Easter, Christmas, etc. I always wanted to personalize these cards to whom I was giving them to. I've done that always, yes, on occasion I buy a card here or there, but even to this day...and I'm what, 24 years old, I still take the time to make cards. I went to go buy my little brother Justin a birthday card for his big 17th birthday (on St. Patty's day nonetheless), and I actually got irritated. I feel like none of the cards are really that special anymore. Sure you find one that will make you cry, but I didn't see any of those yesterday. So I decided I'm making another card for him this year. I hope they don't get sick of my cards, but it's a way to really express how I feel about them, and what they mean to me. Plus I design them pretty cute if I do say so myself. I made my boyfriend a huge Valentine with pictures of us and cute lovey-dovey quotes! He loved it. But the point of my rambling, is that I was thinking of making cards, and selling them. Obviously Hallmark is huge, but I could start my own smaller company. If they don't like them, so be it, but it would be amazing to see my very own cards on the rack! Don't you agree? Just an idea, one my mom so happened to love and adore. So we'll see people...we'll see. 

9 comments:

  1. I LOVE what you said about writing fantasy. That is the exact reason why I love it. It's a way to escape reality. It's something that tells you that YES magic is possible and incredible things can happen. That may be childish but that is why I love fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go for it, the cards, the children's books, the teaching--all of it! Do what you love to do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My cousin always wanted to write greeting cards. Go for it! Sounds fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear you temporarily lost your enthusiasm for writing - hope it's back for good now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you're out of the writing dry-spell! Even if you just write a tiny little bit each day, it helps. You can do it! Also, I LOVE that quote. Nice to meet you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you found my blog and I found yours!!

    BTW, I love the Percy Jackson books too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay - I'm so glad you are getting back into writing. That's fantastic. Excellent post :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome back!

    I need to read that Jackson book as well. Is it weird that I read The Lost Hero first?

    We could always use cards. If you find the venue for it, go for it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to read the Percy Jackson books!

    And reading was an escape for me when I was a kid as well (Goosebumps, Harry Potter) were faves for me, too. So creative.

    ReplyDelete