“And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it."


Monday, March 12, 2012

Practice is the Key!

Hello readers!! Happy Monday to you all.

I'm getting back into writing (always been into it, just really pushing myself now), and it's no secret that I love writing books that help guide you on your path. I'm currently reading this:
How to Be A Writer: Building Your Creative Skills Through Practice and Play - Barbara Baig 
So far I really like this book, because instead of just sitting there and telling your the "right way to write," it helps promote creativity (which I adore), and makes you actually practice the techniques that the author writes about. 

One of the main ones, is "free-writing." I've done this before, many times, but I don't think I've ever truly done it correctly. The key is to keep on writing and she gives you a time frame of ten minutes. You can never stop the pencil/pen from moving for those ten minutes. You can write whatever. It doesn't matter! And no one will ever see this. But through doing this practice, will help generate ideas, and will eventually help you concentrate more efficiently when writing.   

Barbara explains that "practice is key" and writing is no different. How else will you get better, if you don't practice it? You should be writing a little bit each day, and that's when I become a little bit angry at myself. I can't only write when I feel "inspired," because when that disappears for a little while and you enter the terrible territory of Writer's Block, then you just stop all together. Or at least I have. 

I'm really letting my mind flow and getting back into this seems extremely natural. I'm a very creative person, but I think I'm trying too hard to write something that "hasn't been done before." Instead, I should write about what I love. I just wanted something refreshing and new; something that people hadn't seen a lot of. 

I read these children's books, and it opens the door to this world, a world that you wish you lived in and could join. I want my readers to feel that same draw. 

But guess the answer is practice, practice, and more practice. 

Through free-writing, I hope to gain some ideas as well as my surroundings. 

What's the best way you all generate new ideas? Fresh material? I've heard dreams really can help that as well and I've actually woken up from a dream and started writing down everything. It was great material actually! I think when you try too hard to find something you're looking for, you'll never find it. It's when you stop and just look at the beauty around, that you can see what you've been looking for is right in front of you.

7 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you. I'm a firm believer in practice. Writing is a skill as much as an art. So I try to write every day. Even when I don't feel like it, I park myself at my laptop for 15 minutes minimum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the book recommendation! It sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the book recommendation! It sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been wanting to practice on my writing! Thanks for posting this, happy I found your blog actually.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I struggle with writing every day, too. But practice is key. Indeed. Seems like this is a great book and help to writers. Thanks for sharing :)

    New follower, btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually never dream. Ever. Or I guess I do dream but NEVER remember them, so that source of inspiration is out. :)

    However, I day dream all the time. That's where my ideas usually come from. And I really should try to write everyday. That's something I need to work on.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree. A writer can never get better unless he or she spends as much time as possible writing. Most importantly is getting critiques - hearing what other people think about our work and processing this info is important, otherwise we'd just be making the same mistakes over and over and never grow. Also - reading a lot!

    ReplyDelete