“And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it."


Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Typical Questions for Writers

So I was reading around, and I found an interesting blog about asking 10 Typical Questions from Writers (that are really fear in disguise). I was curious how you all would answer these questions. Some of them, well, I cannot answer right now - so I was going to let you all take the reigns; if you'd like of course.

1. How many words should my novel be?
2. I have a great idea for a story, how do I find an agent? 

3. I’ve written four chapters now, can you advise me on how I write a query?
4. Is there a market for… (insert genre)?
5. I have so many ideas, I don’t have writer’s block. I just can’t decide which one to write. What should I do?
6. Should I write a certain amount of words every day? How many?
7. How much money will I earn?
8. How long will it take to get an agent/publisher if I start sending queries now?
9. Do I have to write the full book before I try to get an agent?
10. Which writing software do you use and recommend?



See, these questions are a little different; some are common sense. I know that before you start looking for agents, you need to actually finish the book (or so I've heard). And I know how much money you'll earn...we can't all be J.K. Rowling of course. But some of the questions, well I'm curious to see what other writers will say! You can read the original article HERE

Well, the flow is still going nicely. I'm up to 70 pages! That's not too shabby. But it's getting in the more difficult areas of the novel, so my flow might be slowing down a little. I definitely outlined; actually wrote a backstory that was almost 100 pages. But it's just so much information. 

Here is a picture of my flow though - from Instagram:
Keep Flowing On!
By the way, I'm almost to 100 Followers! How did that happen?? Thank you so much; I love getting to know all of you. It really helps gaining advice from YOU! Maybe if I get to 100, I'll post a little somethin-somethin from my book :) We'll just see! 


Oh and one other thing, have you heard of Amanda Hocking? Yea, she's great! Sold over a million on amazon as a self-publisher. She was charging her books .99 cents! Amazing. She actually wrote me an email once...writing advice before she was famous, so it's something I'll treasure. Her writing has definitely gotten better! I just bought her book, WAKE. Pretty intriguing right now; I must say! 

I love the cover!
I'm bringing this up, because it slightly has something to do with my Project CM -- but only slightly. I still haven't found a book like mine yet; which is exciting and scary!

Have a great Wednesday folks! 

8 comments:

  1. And what is it that you're working on? Fiction? Non-fiction? What sort?
    It sounds like you're making lots of progress. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I've been working on a few different things, but my main project is Fantasy Fiction :)

      Delete
  2. Hi! I'm going to read through your questions and answer them next. But I did want to ask if you received the email I sent you? I sent to your gmail address from your contact page. It's from Ink in the Book.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, first, I read through the questions you put up. They are something to think about for sure:) Here's what I say, in short:

      1. The length of your novel should depend on the genre and the agent. Add in the publisher, the most important part of getting a book printed, and the length of a novel goes all over the place. I plan to write until my story is finished. Once I reach, "The End" I will edit according to the standards of my agent or editor.

      2. If all you have is an idea, you better be a published author before proposing your idea. Most agents (probably all, actually) will not even look at a proposal unless you are a well established author. If you have a great idea, write the story, perfect the manuscript, then search for an agent.

      Okay, I can see this is going to be a very long response, so I am stopping here. I may finish these questions on my blog. But THANKS for raising these questions. Great things to think about for sure!
      Talynn

      Delete
    2. I did get your email, and I'll write back shortly!! I would love a critique partner, but I'm still working hard away on my story, so it'd be a while before I sent anything to be honest! But I'll email you back soon about all that.

      Thank you for filling out these questions!

      Delete
  3. 5. I just recently had this problem. The answer? Go with your heart. It may take a bit for you to figure out, but there will be one that you think about MORE than the others. That's the one you're most passionate about. If you're a planner, map out the different ideas and see where each leads you. Then sit on it. You'll know because there will be one you can't stop thinking about!

    6. Sure. Or a certain amount of words per week. This is a great way to keep yourself writing, which is super important! Set a REASONABLE goal so that you'll actually accomplish it. I know someone who says 50 words a day. A super small and simple goal, but she knows that even on the busiest of days, days where she is sick or issue after issue come up, she can ALWAYS fit in a few minutes to write 50 words. And if she gets more, even better!

    9. Yes, yes, yes! You must have the whole book completed and revised before you submit it to agents. Once you have an agent, this can change. You may not have to write any of it before your agent takes it on. But for a first timer? Any agent will tell you the novel must be finished completely.

    Hope these answers help someone :)

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm impressed with yours! Can't wait to read more! New follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely to meet you. i'll definitely follow you! I was excited at the end when you said you hadn't found a book like the one you're writing (which is what I think you meant). Some good writing advice I was given once was to write the book you wanted to read - eg don't just follow what's trendy. Good advice for enjoying what you're writing and takes away a lot of angst!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the link to the writerly q and a.

    I have some of Amanda Hocking's self-pubbed books. Her new book has a lovely cover. I'll have to check it out.

    Good luck with your project.

    ReplyDelete