“And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it."


Monday, February 18, 2013

55,671

I love having the day off! Thanks for President's Day, I do! And what have I been doing? Yes homework...but also a lot of writing.

You can see in my main title that I have 55,671 - what does that mean? That's what I just hit on my novel. It's actually coming to an end. OH MY GOODNESS! Sorry just went off to dance and scream.

I cannot believe after two years, it's finally coming to a close. In a way. I still need to do the lovely editing process. But I look at the milestone of completion of the first draft huge. There were so many points where I didn't know how I was going to take the story. I've seen it in my head for so long I just wanted it down on paper. At times, I really didn't know it could be done. But now, after having a lot of faith, determination, and hard work, I'm that much closer.

Who knows what will happen after it's all edited. I will go on the path I suppose of getting my draft edited and hopefully finding an agent. It seem so weird and I honestly have my fingers crossed.

I think you go through a moment like - it's just me...how can I get all that. But I've followed a lot of writer's blogs and a year ago they were just like me, now a lot of them are published authors. It can happen. No, I may not be the next J.K Rowling (I wish!), but I want my story out there. I truly do. I will work hard to get to that point even if it takes me ten more years!

Sometimes you just want your voice to be heard. That's exactly what I'm doing.

So here is to 55, 671 and the "almost" completion of my first draft.

Any tips on what to do next? Love hearing from you all! Thanks. Hope writing is going as well for you as it is me.

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Finishing the first draft is a huge accomplishment! So many people want to write a novel but never do. You've done it. I wish you lots of luck on your next step.

    My advice? Read through it a few times, correcting any mistakes, tightening tension, etc., then get together with beta readers or critique group (if you aren't already connected with some). It's amazing what a fresh set of eyes can do for our work. SCBWI has resources for finding readers. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your advice Julie; I truly appreciate it. I really need to get into a critique group or a critique partner. I'll look on SCBWI!

      Take care.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! 55,671 is a HUGE number! Celebrate it and then finish that draft! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I CAN do it :) Appreciate your supportive words.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations, Jessica. That's a huge accomplishment. I know because I just reached the 59K in my WIP. But I'm only at the halfway mark. Looking forward to hearing more about your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, congrats! 59K is definitely a huge accomplishment. Good luck finishing! And same with you. Keep in touch!

      Delete
  4. Ohhhh... love this, Jessica! You've accomplished something huge--live in the moment and enjoy the accomplishment! I ditto everything Julie said--though I also recommend putting it away for a bit and letting it sit before throwing it out there to the world--time away is the best editing tool EVER. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will :) I totally agree about putting it away before throwing it out there. TIME. Very smart. Thanks!

      Delete