“And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it."


Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Who I Am: A Moment

Yesterday before night school, I went to Barnes and Noble (one of my favorite places) and I sat there looking at all the books. A moment went through me where I felt unease. There were so many books, how could normal me get a book on that shelf one day? There are so many talented writers out there, what made me think I could be a part of that world? Feeling this empty feeling, I started to walk past the books not directly looking at any of them and then I looked over for some reason. It was the Harry Potter series. I stopped...dead in my tracks and smiled. This series started my love for reading. This series made me want to be a writer all those many years ago when I was in 6th grade. And in that moment I realized I should be on that shelf. I have a story to share. I've been telling stories since I was 5 years old. I'd call up my Nana and tell her a wild story. What a wonderful sport to sit there for two hours listening to my fiction storytelling. She told me tiring Christmas this year that those were her favorite memories of the two of us. She looked forward to the random calls and my story. I told her I wanted to be an a writer and I was writing something big. She said, "You have always been a writer and I've been waiting to read your books again." I had such a passion for it way back when and I realized that I am a writer. That's a huge part of who I am. And even though I won't be J.K. Rowling...she's one of a kind...I'll be someone. Someone that is hopefully remembered one day as being a wonderful writer and a wonderful teacher to children. I see my students who are 4 and 5. They cannot read quite yet, but they have the same passion for books as I always have had. I want to write for them, for me, for others around the world.

That's who I've always been. It's not that I'm just barely figuring this out. So sitting there at B&N, I get that overwhelming feeling of joy that pushes that feeling of unease out of the water. I see my beloved HP books and remember a quote J.K. once stated:
I want my stories to live in the hearts of many. I hope what I write inspires a child just like I was to follow their dreams as well.

24 comments:

  1. You are exactly on the right track. It's just what Tracy Hickman said at LTUE. Being published is not important - it's important to be read. A closed book does no one any good. Write for yourself, but a reader will make the story complete. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, I have that feeling when I go into B & N too! I'm just in awe as I stare at the shelves. Someday we'll get there too!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post and I've been there...literally there, at Barnes and Noble with the same unease and anxiety. Keep at it. It took me the better part of 4 years to get an agent. The best advice other authors have given me (and I'm sure you've heard it) is: Don't give up and keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's always wonderful advice to hear. Thank you! Congrats on getting that agent! You deserve it.

      Delete
  4. P.s. Love the typewriter on your header ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Someday I'll buy a typewriter. I love them.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful post. I love how passionate you are about writing and having your voice heard. Keep going girl. Stay determined and positive and you will make your dreams come true. Thanks for visiting my blog and following. Now following yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the positive comment! Really appreciate it!

      Glad we're now following one another!!

      Delete
  6. You may never be J. K. Rowling, but you will be Jessica Ruud and that's more important. Love this post. Love the energy. Keep writing and following your dream.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have felt like this, too recently. I also went to Barnes and Noble and just stared at all the books. lol. I wondered what gave me the right to think I could have my books on the shelf.

    But a great friend told me that what mattered was that I was me, and only I knew the passion I had for writing, and only I knew the belief I had in myself to have a book on the shelf. As long as that's going strong, nothing will stop us!

    You can do it! Never think that you have no right to that shelf space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashley, I love what your friend told you. That made me feel so good because it's so true. We need to be our number one fan and believe in ourselves and our writing. So good hearing from you.

      Delete
  8. Thank you for following my blog! Your's is gorgeous and love the layout! I, too, love Barnes and Nobles and really any book store for that matter. I can easily get overwhelmed with just how many books are in there. I feel bad for not being able to read them all. Authors pour their heart and soul into their work and it needs to be shared. It's kind of amazing how the series you looked up at was Harry Potter. I was 10 when they first came out and could remember literally growing up with each book. Harry got older, I got older. I was so disappointed when my letter didn't come haha! There's just something about that whole story that makes the reader fall in love with it and reading in general. It's a classic and although no one can top JK Rowling, if you keep your heart in it and never give up, you can achieve your dreams! That sounds cliche, I know, but it really is true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thank you :)

      I agree, I wish I had the time to read EVERY SINGLE BOOK OUT THERE. I know how hard it is to write a book let alone the road of becoming published. I admire every writer I do.

      I feel the same way about HP! That's why I think I love the series so much. Yes, I had plenty of other books that made me love reading at an even younger age, but this was the one series I grew up with. The trials in my life I felt I could share with Harry as he dealt with his own trials. When he fell in love, so did I for the first time. It will go down as a classic and I cannot wait to show my own children someday HP. But at the same time, I agree with what you said about never giving up. It is true and I'll do my best!

      So happy to meet you new follower :) Look forward to talking soon.

      Delete
  9. Yes! I love your attitude--you have a voice and a story that is entirely unique because God created you one-of-a-kind. There is no one in this massive world that can say what you can say! Keep at it, you love it and that is evident and I love this that someone I admire greatly said to me: "You're gift(talent) will make room for you"... yes, indeedy :)
    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that quote! Thank you so much for sharing it. Your comment made me smile. Thank you.

      Delete
  10. This is a really beautiful post. I really enjoy reading your writing, and I think your header is great!

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel similarly when I see a bookstore full of books; more so when I'm at the bargain bookstore with all the books no one wanted at full price. that's sad to me, all the books I've never heard of, marked down in a bargain bin. But I do think the journey is different for each of us, and if you have that story in you, keep pursuing it!

    I like your blog, I just stumbled upon it :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I get totally intimidated going into B&N. I look at all those books and wonder how my little adventure romance would even be noticed. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because I bet your adventure is wonderful! I want to read it :)

      Delete