“And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it."


Thursday, February 21, 2013

How to Find the Right Critique Partners

So I'm getting extremely close to the end of my first draft (took me long enough) and I'm thinking of the next steps in my writing journey. I understand that editing, more editing, and then even more editing is in the near future. However, I would like to have some help. My family and friends already said they'd help, but I want someone outside my box to help me edit.

Which is why I'm having this post. I've had one other critique partner in my past that I found online...it didn't go over well. I don't think she understood where I was coming from with the story I was editing at the time (unfinished project). I like when other writers are honest and blunt, but there's a difference in positive criticism and being down right rude. I was also scared and uneasy the whole time that this reader was going to take my ideas I had...do any of you ever feel that way?

I'm hoping through the blogging world I can meet someone I feel I can trust with my story. It's so important to me and just handing it over is scary...so I want it to be a right match. I would love to make good friends over it too! I've noticed that all the writers I've met, you all, are so nice and respectful; encouraging and supportive. I would love to make lifetime friendships. But I do need help. I would be a liar if I said I was wonderful at editing because I'm not and know I still have a lot to learn.

So here is open discussion time! Tell me about how you went about the editing process. How did you find critique partners or a Beta Reader? How did you trust them with your baby? I need advice!

I would love to start the process of finding people even though I still have a little bit more to finish up on my story. But why not start process is finding someone now?

For the record if you didn't look at my pages on Projects, my novel is going to be a series, most likely a trilogy or four books. It's YA Fantasy Fiction. It's in 3rd person voice and the main character is a boy. I'll obviously give more information to any partners I gain :)

Thanks writers! I appreciate it.

*****
This last sentence I just updated on February 22nd, 2013. I have been researching a lot, and author Natalie Whipple posted a great discussion HERE on getting a critique partner for anyone who is interested.

22 comments:

  1. I found two CPs through falling4fiction.blogspot.com (they do occasional CP and Beta mixers) who have been helping me blunder through my first novel, and I was lucky enough to find people that I can work with.

    Your project sounds interesting, and I hope you're able to find someone who can help you on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a post at the firstfivepagesworkshop :) critique partners rock! I don't know what I would do without mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're lucky! Glad you have such great ones! Thank you!

      Delete
  3. What's your time frame, here? I might be able to do this for you, if you want. I'm an English teacher, thus well-trained in constructive criticism. Plus, I've read hundreds of YA books (it's part of the job as a teacher). And you know that I write.
    I'd have to work it around grading and my own writing, but, we're family, after all. And if you're not super rushed, I could do probably do this.
    If you think this might be good, tweet me and I'll send you an e-mail so we can work out the details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So wonderful thank you Lisa! I'm thinking maybe on 3rd draft-ish I would love to have you look if you have time! I know how busy you are. It needs a lot of work right off the bat, so I might wait a little.

      Thank you!! I'll email you.

      Delete
    2. Just tweet me when you're ready. @lisamshafer Or e-mail if you have the address. (I never post my e-mail e-mail online.) Or ask your dad for my phone number and just call me. :D

      Delete
  4. Oh, and if you want actual kids to read your YA fiction, I'm POSITIVE I can find you volunteers. No problem at all (uh, unless the book is too racy. It's not too racy, is it?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and not too racy at all! It's for teens after all!

      Delete
    2. Well, some books "for teens" are for older teens and contain stuff that's fine for high school but can cause upset parents if given to junior high kids. I teach ages 12-15, so it has to be pretty clean if I'm the one giving it to them. I wasn't sure if you were aiming for older teens or not. That's all.

      Delete
    3. Ya that's true! Mine is for teens that are older so 15-18 (21). So probably won't have them editing it ;)

      Delete
  5. I found my critique partners online. I put out a call once on Twitter because I was frustrated with revisions. I'd been thru the novel with 3 betas. Through Twitter I ended up with 5 more readers and more opinions--that were all the same lol. I really think looking at critique connection blogs and forums will help. I found my first reader through a website called Absolutewrite, where there's an entire section for beta readers/critique partners. GOOD LUCK!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found CPs through my blog (ppl who commented a lot and I felt similar to), through writing programs and Twitter. I've had some very harsh critiques in the past that left me devastated, so I know what you mean with trying to find the right person who just meshes with you. If you want, I'll be done my YA (light) SF soon and we could swap? I absolutely love fantasy stories (my first MS was one!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I happened upon my CP after I read her online book. After I praised it's amazingness, she wanted to read mine! And she is PERFECT! There are all sorts of ways to find crit partners.

    You books has the same aspects as mine--male pov, third person, ya fantasy. Perhaps we could exchange?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea! That would be wonderful! Lets chit chat more :)

      Delete
  8. I'm lucky to have found a great CP and beta readers. I get volunteers all the time through blogging. I don't blog that I'm looking for beta readers. I get to know writers through blogging and they offer to read for me. Now I have more volunteers than I need. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Finding someone you trust is so important. I hope you find a perfect match. I write MG/YA fantasy and would offer to help but it is not a great time for me at the moment. If you are still looking in a few weeks please feel free to give me a shout and I'd be happy to help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might honestly be a few weeks anyway for me as well! I'll get in touch with you then.

      Delete