“And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it."


Monday, February 25, 2013

So Close...Yet So Far Away

The dreaded time has come, and not for the first time.

I'm stuck aka:
No...this isn't the first post I've done about writer's block...but this time sucks most of all. You want to know why? Because I'm THIS close to the end of my first draft. I was weird and when I wrote my novel, I skipped around. I did the scenes that were screaming to be placed on paper. It's the in between scenes, the more "blah" scenes that don't leave a huge imprint on your mind, but still need to be there to help make sense to the flow of the story scenes. If that makes any sense whatsoever. It's not that I'm writing the wrong stuff; it's that I can't write it at all. I sit there...and imagine what I could say and it just disappears and I think of everything and anything else besides what I should be writing. 
I'm so close to the end. Maybe that is whats going on here. It's like my mind knows that and I want to move to the editing process to make it better and put in all the big words and just clean it up. I want to find that critique group and start moving along. But I can't. Not until the first draft is complete.

So if my drive is that strong...why can't I do it? Why do I partially want to give up. That's a terrible thought and I want to get rid of it instantly...but it's there. Lurking like a poisonous drug.
 I want the voices (yes my character's voices) to come back to me. I miss them. At the beginning they were screaming at me. To the point where I couldn't stop writing, and I didn't. I haven't had too bad of writer's blog until now. Maybe because once I realized I was editing instead of just writing (even awful things that I hope leave the story during the revising process) I let go of that and just wrote. It didn't matter. But it matters now. It matters that I finish this.

I'm so close but I feel so far away. I can do this. I know I can. The writer's drive is unbelievable and I feel life if it's the real deal, nothing can stop it. I just have to get through the obstacles as of late. Hopefully it'll work out. Hopefully they'll come back to help out a bit.
Writers who have completed the first draft! What did you do to get done. How did you make it the extra last miles to the finish line. I know the journey is still so long, maybe that's whats holding me back. But how did you get it done? HELP! 

Thanks friends :) Happy Monday by the way. 

8 comments:

  1. I'd probably just write a lame ending to simply get it done and set it aside for the several week waiting time before returning for my first round of edits. In that time, go out in the world, do something you've always wanted to do but haven't, or start a new project... anything to get your mind on other things. Sometimes an idea then just pops up out of the blue or when you go back for edits, you might realize what you want.
    For me, it's this self-made pressure that's the true killer. Get rid of him and things flow better :)

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful advice!! Thank you so much :)

      Delete
  2. For me, I get stuck when I have too many options and I have to make a choice. I'm so worried that I'll get it wrong that I don't know what to do. So I just make a choice and stick with it, see if it works, and if it doesn't change it in revisions. I've also done the lame ending thing as T. Drecker said. If you're getting stuck with the in between bits, maybe read it from the beginning? (Not editing, just reading). Then you can see where those scenes have to fit in and fill them in accordingly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing! Least during revising maybe our head will be clear instead of all jumbled up so we can make a better scene!

      Delete
  3. I've probably done everything backwards, but I edited a ton before writing an ending to my book. I finally had to bite and just writing *something* to close it out. Then I went through and revised again. I don't know if I'm one of those "write straight through" people, but I'm attempting it on my next project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, we all have our different ways of writing. I seriously am a chapter jumper. I jump around to random chapters and now filling in the blanks is challenging. That's the thing! I have the last chapter done...just not ones throughout in random spots. Ugh.

      Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  4. I use bribery to make myself write-chocolate, new books, sometimes even showers-have to get that WC so I can... It is hard. I also sometimes feel so much pressure to write well in my WIP that I start out doing a 10 min. free write exercise, a journal entry, or one of those activities such as on Tim Wynn-Jones's website. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The best way I get over writer's block--- especially at the end--- is to spend a LOT of time just thinking about it. I need my scenes in my head really well before I write them. And none are more difficult (or require more thought) than those ending ones. Best of luck with it!!

    ReplyDelete